Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The decision-making process for wind power,

should be locally decided




Dear Ms. Hludzenski,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns with Production Tax Credits for wind energy. I appreciate that you took the time to share your views with me. 
I support pursuing domestic resources as we move towards energy independence when it is done responsibly and in coordination with local leaders and communities. For that reason, I believe an "all of the above" energy strategy is appropriate to ensure the nation takes advantage of its unique resource advantages while allowing communities the flexibility to participate in America's energy strategy in their own way. That is why I support programs from the Keystone XL pipeline to nuclear power to renewable energy here in New York. The decision-making process for these initiatives, including wind power, should be locally decided and fully take into consideration the concerns raised by the community before any final decisions are made.

As you may know, the American Taxpayer Relief Act, which averted the so called "fiscal cliff," extended production tax credits for wind and other renewable energy sources through 2013. Although this temporary extension is not ideal, it will support electricity produced from many of the renewable sources New York is already using to provide power to rural areas, such as biomass from local forests and wind power. This legislation can help provide necessary support for critical investments here at home, with the added benefit of supporting industries like manufacturing and construction that have struggled in today's economy. 

I believe New York is well positioned to take advantage of a growing energy economy, including green jobs. Job creation and economic development are my top priorities in Congress, and so I am eager to support bipartisan legislation that presents commonsense solutions to the energy problems we face.

I will be sure to keep your comments in mind should I have the opportunity to vote on production tax credits in the 113th Congress, and as I continue working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to help secure America's energy independence.
Again, thank you for contacting me about this important issue.  To receive updates on my work in New York and Washington, please visit my website at www.owens.house.gov.  Should you have additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My door is always open as I believe that we function better as a society when we engage in nonpartisan,civil discourse.


Sincerely,

Bill Owens
Member of Congress

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owen's letter of support for local decision making in siting renewable energy projects should be included in the record with the PSC for BP's Cape Vincent project proposal. It is a good reminder to make sure Cape Vincent's zoning law remains in force throughout the Article 10 process. A nice cover letter quoting Owen's highlighted statements with his letter attached would send a powerful political message about the travesty being perpetrated on Cape Vincent under Article 10.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with 5:08,

I was one of the many people that had the opportunity to talk to the Congressman during his recent campaign.
He told me that he was in favor of the PTC for his district but absolutely opposed to Art. 10 taking away local land use laws. We specifically talked Cape Vincent. Yes...his position on this should be filed with the PSC.

Thank you Pandora for all you do...

Anonymous said...

Bill Owens motto-"I believe we function better as a society when we engage in nonpartisan, civil discourse."

Andrew Cuomo's motto- "I believe in home rule, but there has to be reasonableness, and I get to decide what is reasonable"

cynic said...

I don't think Cuomo could care less about what we think here in Cape Vincent. He's no different than all the other crooks in government, just looking out for himself.

Anonymous said...

This response from Bill Owens is his pretty standard form letter sent to anyone who contacts his office. I've received two of them.

He believes strongly in renewable energy,particularly wind, which is his perogative. Apparently he has little sway over Andrew Cuomo's tyrannical approach to siting turbines.

A paper tiger!